Friday, May 24, 2013

Rain, Rain! (And Ink)


I had a whole day's worth of outdoor tasks and chores ready for today.

I was in the midst of them when I heard thunder, which prompted me to check out the weather forecast. You know, the weather forecast I checked a million times before setting out to do all of my outdoor chores. There it was: a big ol' rainstorm on the way.

I'm not going to complain. We need the rain here in Texas. Desperately. And it saves me from having to water the garden. So, yay!

I decided to use some indoor down time to play around, art-wise. This li'l lady and her flower-brella is what came out. What can I say?  I had rain on the brain.

I reckon I was inspired in part by my first meeting with the Girllustrators on Monday...



The Girllustrators are a wonderful, warm, welcoming and especially talented group of lady illustrators and SCBWI members based here in Austin, and I am so excited to have been invited to join them!

Anyway, I had made a passing comment during our get together about how I prefer doodling with a pencil over doodling with a pen. That's when Shelley Ann Jackson said,"You should try drawing in ink. Sometimes ink is more freeing, because you can't erase it."

Thus, when the rain thwarted my outdoor plans, I set out on my doodle exercise for today. Drawing in ink. No sketches. No do-overs. Just let it roll and see what happens. Let myself be rough and scratchy and happy accident-full.

I like it, and it turns out it was freeing.

That said - Thanks, Professor Shelley!



P.S. I need to figure out a better way to hold my pen when drawing with ink. Or maybe I need a new pen.Yucko.

Pin It

1 comment:

Annastasya said...

hello :D I'm blog-juumping here and ended up in yours :D I really loved your art ! thanks for sharing :D hope you can visit mine too :)