Sunday, March 17, 2013

May Your St. Patrick's Day be Lucky (and Charmed)!


Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody! I decided to celebrate this year by making one of the most un-Irish, un-traditional foods I could. In fact, I would think of it as being very distinctly American, but it does involve a leprechaun of sorts.

Why, yes, I'm talking about Lucky Charms treats.



Oh, and besides making the treats, I drew up my own little L.C. Leprechaun, too. I based him on the vintage version, who was actually cute and yet still leprechauny. Not the crazed CGI styled boyish L.C. of toda, no sir!

                                         

Believe it or not, I've never made any "Rice Krispy Treat" style treats before, and I had never seen anyone else make them either (my mom was more of a cakes-&-cookies mom). I was surprised that it actually was really easy to make (I used this recipe here). Huh, how 'bout that? That commercial that came on all the time when I was a kid was not a lie!

Isn't it funny that I, Miss I-Like-To-Bake, can go my entire life without ever participating in making something as simple and ubiquitous as cereal marshmallow treats? I kinda feel more American now.

                                         

As for the verdict on the treats themselves: my husband liked them, I thought they were all right. I think they were better once they sat out longer and the marshmallows got a bit softer.

Sigh!  I reckon this means my cereal treats lovin' husband is more American than I. But on a day like today, isn't it more important who is more Irish? Sure.

(It's probably technically him, but let's say it's me)

Happy St. Patrick's Day! May the luck of the Irish be with you!







Pin It

No comments: