Friday, November 30, 2012

Our Lady of the Rebellion, Princess Leia

Virginal, pure, and brave of heart, her people look to her for salvation from the powers of evil.

Yes, I'm talking about Princess Leia.

Here's the latest Star Wars related piece I've worked up. Actually, I have technically been working on getting this done and out there for well over 2 years now. Seriously! Remember how I wrote about have scads and scads of artwork and sketches in these stacks of sketchbooks that never gets any further?  Yeeeaaaaah...

I thought it up and had even drawn up sketches of a Virgin of Guadalupe Leia way back in the spring of 2010 (or was it 2009? I cannot remember...) in what I was hoping to make a Star Wars Day post (that's May the Fourth as in"May the Fourth be with you" for those of you who don't know). But despite multiple sketches, and even a start to an actual gouache painting, it never got finished.

 Then, about a month ago, I decided to revisit my abandoned work, but this time with a digital approach. I am not disappointed – I think she turned out quite pretty in fact!

The current and final version employs Obi Wan Kenobi himself to help keep Leia aloft amongst the stars (and helps her to overpower the Death Star in the background), but that is only after playing around with the idea of her guardian angel being played by Luke, Chewbacca, and even a jawa.

But in the end, it was the famous Leia line of "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi. You are my only hope," that made my decision for me. In particular because the blue and aqua Virgin of Guadalupe aura surrounding Leia put me in the mindset of her holographic plea to Obi Wan.

I hope y'all like it as much as I do.  I have to say, it feels so nice to finally see her all finished and in the flesh!

And if you like her enough yourself, she'll be for sale in my BRAND NEW ETSY SHOP,, with its grand opening tomorrow, Saturday, December 1st (I'll post here again tomorrow once everything is up!). I'll have lots of prints, Tom Selleck Cake cards, new and improved sugar skull softies, and some other gifties, too.

And for those of you in Austin, of course, you can always swing by the Blue Genie Art Bazaar.  She's already there! Pin It

1 comment: