Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay - Cielito Lindo!

The other day, my neighbors had some jackhammery work going on at their place and it was giving me a splitting headache. Ay, ay, ay, ay!

That quickly resulted in my going to my neighborhood coffee shop to get some work done, and of course, like a good little illustrator, I brought my iPod.

I was working away when, of all the songs I have in my collection, Cielito Lindo popped up.  Suddenly, I found myself completely uninterested in what I was working on and I doodled out what was to become this piece.  I couldn't help it.  The song is just so catchy!

If you are unfamiliar with Cielito Lindo, it's a Mexican song that I would think that just about everyone in the world knows, but considering that I grew up hearing my dad sing it all the time, and I now live in Texas (you know, neighbor to Mexico and all), maybe my perspective is a bit skewed, so here is a clip for you just in case.

I chose this version of it to post, as opposed to many other excellent mariachi and non-mariachi versions, because I just love, love, love the audience singing along here. They look so happy! That is what this song does to you.

In case you don't speak Spanish, the lyrics basically translate to, "Sing and don't cry, because singing cheers hearts, my lovely little dear ("cielito lindo" being a term of endearment as well as literally meaning "pretty little heaven" or "pretty little sky"). 

Thus, I was inspired to draw the sun, clouds, and rainbow, playing around with the literal meaning of the song's title, with the raindrops tying back to the crying part of the lyrics. I also tried my hand in working in a slightly different style that is a little looser and more doodly at heart than what I might normally do, and I hand lettered in the lyrics to accompany it all.

I love the result. It makes me almost as happy as the song does.

I think I'll have to make some prints of this one - wouldn't it be super cute in a nursery or a colorful kitchen? I think so.

Pin It


EM-K said...

really digging your design and inspiration! nice!

Arts in the Family said...

It's wonderful. Yes, it should definitely be a print. You could do a series of illustrations based on other songs.