Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Plush Pumpkin Trio

Sitting in my studio the other day, I decided, on a whim, that I needed to make some plush pumpkins.  For decoration!  Why not? So I did.  And here they are.

What's odd about this to me is that, despite my absolute love of Halloween, I didn't used to be one for doing much in the way of Halloween decoration. And yet, nowadays I find myself in the midst of Halloween decor projects (when I most definitely should be doing something else) just because. I have a hunch on the why of this sudden interest in Halloween decorating, though...

Growing up we had our jack o'lanterns and maybe a couple of cardboard cutouts to hang up, but that was pretty much it. We would always head over to a friend's house for Halloween. In my apartment dwelling days, I considered myself festive if I carved a pumpkin or two.

However, I would like to point out that we never had trick-or-treaters at the house I  grew up in (too far removed from the neighborhoods teeming with kiddos), nor at any of my apartments, despite my buying candy each year and hoping they would show up.

But ever since we have been in a house in an actual neighborhood, there have been trick-or-treaters! And where there are trick-or-treaters, a festive Halloween spirit follows.

How can I open my spookily decorated door to dole out candy and not have any display of Halloween funnery on the inside of my home? Being a candy giver-outer means all the fun sights and sounds of Halloween are on the other side of the door.

Which means, I find myself sewing up pumpkins to make my environs for Halloween night a little bit Halloweenier.

So that growing Halloween collection that rivals our Christmas things collection (which is fun, except for the storage space part)? That's all the trick-or-treaters' fault.

But I do love it all. I love our spooky yard, I love our skulls and black cats filled home, and I love my little, for-no-real-reason-at-all, plush pumpkin trio.

And for those curious as to how I made these guys, I simply used a standard ball pattern cut from fabric with a bit of stretch and cut proportionally for each different size, and then faces are just cut black felt that I then appliques on. That was it!
Pin It

No comments: