Thursday, October 18, 2012

La Llorona


I'm back! And La Llorona is back, too, redrawn, and in color this time around!

I figured I'd post a few pics of her for the sake of the whole process of trying again and re-doing things until you like them, but then also I realized in my post-dinner world wide web perusing that the theme for this week's Illustration Friday is "water," which, you know kind of works for this piece!

I figured, "What the hey?!" I was going to post some color pics tomorrow, but why not now and squeak under the deadline for IF instead? it may mean poor photo taking lighting, but I can deal with that if it means I can play this week.



So that's what I'm doing.

And if you are not familiar with the mythology of La Llorona, you can read about her here

I went for a more "beautiful lady"approach after my research led me to mostly scary and terrifying looking versions of her. I like the idea of her being sad and a bit scary, but still beautiful, and I took a similar approach to my piece of La Calavera (that is still awaiting color). Pretty and Halloweeny.

Media tidbits on this piece: pencil and watercolor on paper.

And with that, good night for reals this time. Until next time! Pin It

1 comment:

Tia said...

This is beautiful!