Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Acorn Cookies


Fall is upon us! Which means it's the season where I am very much reminded of just how much I love the wonders of the internet.



Why, you ask?  Because without the internet, these adorable acorn cookies and the even more adorable squirrel cookie jar would be lost to me.



You see, one evening way back in the year 2000, my housemate, Jess, made some little cookies that she shaped like acorns, dipped in melted chocolate, and rolled in walnuts.  Not only were the adorable, but they were totally addictive, too. I loved them!


Years later I would still sometimes crave those little brown sugar shortbreadish cookies, but alas, I never did get the recipe. Web searches turned up every other type of acorn cookie of which you could think. Every one, except the one for which I was looking.

Then one day not too long ago (in 2008), a blog post about acorn cookies by Heidi Kenney of My Paper Crane popped up in my feed, and there they were!  The acorn cookies! YESSS!

Since then, when fall rolls around, I get a hankering to make (and eat) some acorn cookies.  I thought I would share this year's crop, and send you all over to Heidi's recipe if you would like to give it a go yourself.

Heidi's recipe, like Jess', is vegan. I opted for butter myself, as that is what I keep on hand, but I just wanted to let it be known that vegan acorn cookies are an option.

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much the same. To get the shape, I just rolled the dough into balls, pinched one end into shape, and set them on the baking sheet point up.


And I didn't want nuts on all of the cookies, so for some I just did a plain chocolate dip, and let the chocolate swirly flip on top stand in for the stem on the cap, and on some others I added a single piece of walnut for the stem. 


I think they turned out pretty cute!

However, they are not as cute as my cookie jar, which is not only thematically tied by acorns, but is another story championing the finding of lost memories via internet.


My grandparents on my dad's side had a cookie jar just like this when I was little, but I have no idea where theirs is now. It is one of the very distinctive memories I have of their house, and I was determined to make that memory a part of my own household, too.

And, lo! The internet did not fail me. A web search here and there every now and then finally led me to the right cookie jar on eBay. Huzzah! The internet wins again!


As for now, I am pleased to say that both the lost acorn cookies and the acorn holding squirrel cookie jar are here with me every year to brighten up my fall.

Too cute, y'all.  Too cute. Pin It

No comments: