Thursday, December 1, 2011

December First, 2011

It's the first day of the last month of the year, and boy -- did it get here fast! The last thing I remember we were just moving into the new place in the record Texas heat of the summer. And now, it's December. And Christmas is around the corner. And I actually need to wear a sweater and turn on the heat.

And now I'm hanging up an advent calendar. What happened to August, September, October, and November? I haven't a clue.

The last three months of the year are notoriously busy, busy, busy for me. It really has been a struggle some years to balance my intensified work load with trying to fit in some holiday cheer.

In fact, I remember some years not too long ago where I just nixed the whole Christmas decor thing all together, for lack of energy. Yeaaah...

That was quite a bummer. So, I try to make sure that doesn't ever happen again.

Now you can imagine how happy and pleased with myself I am that I had the advent calendar up and ready to go this morning, December the First! We won't have to retroactively open the little advent doors! And I have something Christmasy up! Hooray!

As for my advent calendar of choice: I love the old fashioned German paper advent calendars with a different picture each day. That's the kind I remember us having when I was little, and I find them very sweet and charming, albeit difficult to find sometimes.

Isn't it adorable? I hope I get a picture of a squirrel on a day that it's my turn. Ooh! Or a kitten! Or better yet, a basket of kittens!

So cheers to being able to do something Christmasy in time this year, despite the flying by of time, the mega-work load, and the lack of energy. Next up, everything else! Pin It

1 comment:

Kate Dolamore said...

I grew up with those German advent calendars as well, I really love them. I still have some from childhood although they have little rips and missing doors! I have found eBay is great for getting new ones.