Monday, August 15, 2011

My First Sewing Project


Lookie what I found in the midst of all my moving, unpacking, sorting, and organizing madness -- my very first sewing project!

I know, I know, it looks... odd. And though I say it was my first sewing 'project' it is most definitely an anti-project. Here is an object with no purpose beyond practice, no meaning, no specifications, and no finished look. And I love that! I should do that more often...


I was somewhere around 4 or 5 years old when my grandmother, (whom I called Gammon -- which rhymes with "c'mon") taught me to sew on buttons.

And with that she handed me a scrap of pink knit fabric, a needle, some thread, and open access to her vast button collection. I always loved picking my favorite pretties out of the sea of buttons in her sewing drawer.

I still relish combing through them for my favorites. Gammon unloaded her button collection on me when I was in college, although I admit, I used to use them with more abandon, and now I 'save them' for special projects that never happen.

I now consider this pink be-buttoned scrap to be a valuable reminder to just go for it, and to not overplan my work so much. Do it for the sake of doing it, for the sake of learning and doing something new!


With the move and a real studio of my own now, I've upgraded the buttons' home from my grandfather's old cigar boxes (cute and chic, but not very button-visible) to some pretty jars that allow me to spy my favorites without having to crack open a box. Hooray!

Here's hoping that this increased visibility also means increased accessibility, creativity, and productivity due to increased inspiration.

Ooooh, I love me buttons!!!


Pin It

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

I love photos of button jars!

p.s. Can't wait to see more photos of your studio. :)