Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cupcakes for Supper


I miss making cupcakes. It's been a loooooong while since I've baked any type of cake, and a looooong while since I've eaten any as well. Was it Christmas? Halloween? Ah, I think it was the unblogged-cream-cheese-and-nutella-chocolate-iced-banana-nut-Easter-cake...


...There! Now it's been blogged. I was a very busy lady in April. Sorry! Anyway, back to the now...

Thankfully, I was able to cull my sugar cravings last night at the Sugar Mama's (of Austin - my preferred local cupcakery) & Sugadeaux (of Melbourne, Australia) cupcake tasting at Volstead Lounge (much thanks to my incredibly awesome friend, Wendy, for snagging the tickets).


It was decadently delicious! Eight mini cupcakes (4 from each baker), a signature cocktail and some prosecco PLUS two tasty take home cookies. A dream event!


Jess of Sugadeaux presented Texas Pink Grapefruit, Sweet Tea, Lamington, and Strawberry Chcolate Balsamic cupcakes while Olivia of Sugar Mama's presented Pomegranate Martini, Peanut Butter Honey, Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow, and her classic James Brown cupcakes. And yes, our table ate them all.


And I tried to take photos of each pretty little pastry to post and share, although I will say that chocolate on chocolate thing doesn't photograph well in a dark restaurant, so I only have six pics. Sorry James Brown and Choco-Marshmallow cupcakes! Sad, I know. You were both cute.


Well, it was kinda dark and it was incredibly hard to remember to take a picture before taking a bite...


My favorite of the night? I think it goes to the Texas Pink Grapefruit cupcake by Sugadeaux. So light and crisp and fresh and tart. Loved it! And I do believe there will be more of that particular flavor available at the Sugadeaux/Sugar Mama's event this Sunday if you happen to be in Austin.


I mean, come on! Look how cute li'l miss Grapefruit is! Pink with little white sprinkles! It doesn't get much cuter. Plus, I reckon since I'm a Florida gal at heart, I have a natural predisposition to citrus.


And now though I may have culled that sugar craving, I have a new yearning to MAKE cupcakes. I miss baking so much. Plus I get to bake in an all new kitchen now! I just need to make sure folks other than myself will eat them...

Maybe in a couple more days, after the old place is all cleaned and done. *sad trombone*

The treats in the order they appear in this post: take home sugar and wattleseed cookies, Pomegranate Martini cupcake, take home cookies and signature pink berry martini, the Lamington cupcake, Strawberry Chocolate Balsamic cupcake, Peanut Butter Honey cupcake, Texas Pink Grapefruit cupcake, and Sweet Tea cupcake. Pin It

2 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks again for coming along! Great post :)

alicia policia said...

Thank YOU! It was a treat. I would most definitely attend a cupcake dinner again, especially if y'all two are baking it up!