Monday, November 1, 2010

Máscaras del Día de los Muertos

Today, of course, is el Día de los Muertos, and to celebrate the occasion, I painted up these papier maché masks.

I purchased them blank and pre-formed from the craft store in the midst of all their Halloween to-do. I had designs on them becoming bright and floral ofrenda decor from the moment I laid eyes on them. A little craft paint and some time later, and there they were. I think of the orange one as being male, and the pink one as female, and I especially likes that somehow, the same papier maché mold warped into two completely different skull types.

Hope you like them as much as I do.

I guess Halloween and Day of the Dead make for a two post kinda day, huh? Pin It

2 comments:

Ira F. Cummings said...

Alicia. These art f'ing sick. If there's anything I love more than masks, it's skulls, and these really fit the bill. So awesome.

alicia policia said...

Thanks, Ira. I agree, that both masks and skulls are pretty awesome, and together is even better.

You should try making some yourself next year! I know they would look pretty righteous.