Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hooray, Space! (Happy Carl Sagan Day)

Today is Carl Sagan Day! It's a day to celebrate the life and work of beloved astronomer Carl Sagan, as well as a day to celebrate astronomy, space exploration, science, and reason (and I like to think creative thinking as well).

So what's with the Vulcan-American federation lady and a pledge to reason and logic?

Ok. I admit, it's not meant to be a piece for Carl Sagan Day (my Carl Sagan inspired piece remains unfinished as yet, but that's what happens when one is a perfectionist working on a very personally inspiring piece).

This Vulcan lady here came out of nowhere one day, into my brain, and out my fingertips, into my brush and onto the wood a few weeks back (or soemthing along those lines). And it's been sitting around unshared and unphotographed (and awaiting display in this year's Blue Genie Art Bazaar) ever since.

However, I figured it would be a nice addition to the space decor for today anyway - logic, reason, space, exploration, and yes, a dash of America (or NASA, if you will). A pledge to logic and reason, and a desire to explore the final frontier. Sounds somewhat Sagan-esque to me...


I will be celebrating space by catching the Hubble 3D Imax film. If you can't make it out to a screening yourself, snuggle up at home and watch yourself some Cosmos (available right here on Hulu). It's brilliant! I distinctly remember watching the 4th dimension bit in my 8th grade science class (thanks, Mr. Donley!).



Or you can listen to some Carl Sagan auto-tuning, with more from the Symphony of Science over here.

Or at the very least, you should listen to Carl reading 'The Pale Blue Dot.' Right now. I'm of the opinion that it should be required listening... And make sure your tissues are at hand.



Thank you, Carl. Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this.

alicia policia said...

You're most welcome, stranger!

Anonymous said...

I saw your Flickr.com pledge to logic art, and now this posting.

I suspect you're one of us. So please join the Sagan Appreciation Society. There's no fee, and you get Sagan-related news and updates.

Ask to be subscibed at: SaganGathering (at) yahoo (dot) com with the subject line Suscribe SAS.

Also, please contact me at the above address about your Sagan artwork. I'm curating a Sagan/COSMOS inspired artshow in Ithaca and would like to look at your finished work.

In the meantime check out our YouTube presense:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SaganAppreciationSoc

alicia policia said...

Thanks for the tips, Anonymous. I hope I will be able to be part of a Sagan themed art show. That sounds excellent!