Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween and Skull Cupcakes

Last night was my first Halloween where I got to treat the trick-or-treaters! Hooray! And they were sooooo cute. And very polite, too.

I was so psyched to get to hand out candy, I got caught up in a last minute tizzy of Halloween spirit that's never struck me before. Decorations, snacks, baking, multiple jack-o-lanterns, and zombie costumes, all done within 48 hours. Whew!

I really should do a better job of adopting the craft blogger M.O. of working on any given holiday's decor and related projects a month or so ahead of time. It's better for blogging and tutorials, yes, but it also might leave me with a little more time to enjoy it all.

But for now, I'm one of those 'I do my best work at the very last minute' frenzied types....and not to mention a 'Holiday Purest' (if you think you're gonna open that Christmas present before Christmas morning, you better think again! And no DECorations until it's DECember, either...)

These cupcakes were a literal last minute addition, having finished them up just before our treats-giving guests arrived. Close call! I know it's frowned upon to hand out home baked goods to little kiddies, (I don't want to end up like poor Mrs. Weir and her ant covered cookies in the Freaks and Geeks Halloween episode) so these were grown-ups only creepy cupcakes to snack on between trick-or-treat visits.

They're devil's food cake and cream cheese icing -- I just drew skulls on the cupcakes with a simple medium circle tip in the bag, and tried to layer the eye sockets and teeth to give them a little bit of dimension. I think they turned out pretty cute, myself, and like how they look with the various sprinkled cupcakes as well.

I even carved a skull pumpkin to match.

Well, that's it for my Halloweeny post. I hope everyone had a happy Halloween!

Between my last minute creepy creations, the Monster Show, attending the coolest Halloween party ever (my friends are the masters of the macabre -- their place was decorated with genius and I just wish my photos had been good enough to share!), and my first trick-or-treaters ever, I know my Halloween weekend was certainly a treat. Pin It

No comments: