Sunday, August 29, 2010

MJ's B-Day Bedazzled Craft Blast from the Past

Today is Michael Jackson's birthday! Which means, it's a good reason to share this project from the past with ya! Yay!

A year ago today, I attended a wedding that happened to share the auspicious 8-29 date -- a perfect excuse to to create my own little nod to MJ. Two celebratory occasions in one! Hows-about adding a touch of King of Pop in his prime to my evening ensemble with a tiger cubbed and rhinestoned purse?!?!

Hows-about yeah!!!

I've already mentioned in my previous post how Michael Jackson's music, dancing, and videos were such a large part of my childhood. So I admit, I was pretty bummed when he died. Little projects like this were a good pick-me-up last summer.

Much like the tiger-inclusive video itself!


And before anyone mocks me, yes, I admit it. I am one of those people everyone makes fun of for getting all sad when a celebrity (who was personally inspiring to me, but nonetheless, a perfect stranger) dies. I weeped when Jim Henson died (seriously, who didn't?), and was heavy hearted when George Harrison passed away.

And even though he died 33 years ago before I was even born, I unexpectedly found myself shedding some tears when I visited Elvis' grave at Graceland a few weeks ago (oh yeah, I haven't told you about that yet, have I?).

I reckon that makes me lame to some folks. What can I say? I'm a very sensitive soul!

Anyway, it was the least I could do to pay tribute via fashion on Michael's birthday, and so I did.

And I did it with the help of a few glue on rhinestones (some of which, as you can see in this *lovely* iPhone hotel lit photo, popped off), dark fabric iron-on transfer paper, and a clearance clutch. Viola! A perfect accessory for the night.

And lo and behold, the MJ mojo must've been working because a large impromptu Thriller inspired dance jam popped up at the reception. There's magic in them thar rhinestones!

Next up -- Gum paste mystery project - revealed!
Pin It

No comments: