Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Honky Tonkin' Hank Williams Cake

Son of a gun, this cake was fun! And delicious!*

My friend, Emma -- yes, the same Emma of Tom Selleck Cake fame, had another birthday. Fancy that! So it was time for another cake fest. Hmmmm, what to make, what to make....

I know! Hank!

Emma and I brain twin bonded oh-so-many years ago over our love for (horribly but lovingly) yodeling out Hank Sr. tunes (this one in particular), and what with her b-day celebration being a BBQ, I figured a country themed cake of some sort was fitting.

I drew up this pastel portrait (get that? It's a pun because pastel is Spanish for a cake, and this is a cake AND it has pastel colors.... eh? Eh?!?), threw in a few doodles for little booze, a little music, a little love, and a little lovesick in the background to fun it up and to make it truly Hank, and there you go. Happy Hank-day!

And it was a great excuse to listen to hours and hours of Hank and other classic country for inspiration. Bonus!

And of course, me being me, I do have some quibbles with my cake work. Some wonkiness. Some color conundrums. My sketch was better...Sigh.

I'd have liked maybe one more hour to tweak and smooth and not be rushed, but as it was, I finished this at the exact minute the party started, so there was no time for my perfectionism. Boo!

But I still love it. Yay!

But I still need to remember to iron my tablecloths more often. Boo!

As for the the technical cake and baking part, it's a brown sugar nut cake recipe (from my mama) covered in cream cheese icing. The decorated bits are done a la my mama's cake technique with buttercream on top of that (thinly), as cream cheese icing likes to melt too much for decorating least for my skill set it does.

I cannot stress enough that this cake was delicious -- a definite crowd pleaser and I soooo will be making it again. And again. And again.

So there you have it. A honky tonkin' good cake of a honky tonkin' good artist for a honky tonkin' good friend!

* Sing this line to the tune of Jambalaya! Pin It


Ren said...


rainylakechick said...

This is too cool. I don't think I could eat a cake this awesome.

Maria said...

Just amazing! Loving it!

Emma said...

I am totally singing "Son of gun, this cake was fun! And delicious!" right now. Thanks again for another birthday cake of my dreams!

Paul Adam said...

This cake was super damn tasty too! Well done, Alicia. Post your sketch!!!!

Pang said...

Wow!! Another great cake!!! You are a great friend!!!