Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Halloween (and some Star Wars, too)!

Happy Halloween! As a trick on me, October flew right by and left me with no time for fun stuff like costumes and candy for Halloween.  Oh no! 

... As a treat to you, I'm sharing some of my favorite costumes from my childhood, and the theme today is the all mighty Star Wars.  Who doesn't love some Star Wars-y Halloweeny goodness?  I know I love it, and always have...

My mom made these Tusken Raider and Jawa costumes for my brothers back in 78 (I think).  It was before I was born, and I've always looked back on the photos and thought that they were the absolute coolest costumes in the world! 

Which reminds me, have mentioned that my mom is the Costume Queen?  She is.  Whatever we wanted to be for Halloween, she would make for us -- it was the best!  Indiana Jones, Nightcrawler, Darkwing Duck, a turtle, and even my lame request for a butterfly -- she made it all.  She made everything you see above that's not leather: the masks, the weapons, the robes... it makes me tired just thinking about making all of that! How the hell did she do it on top of everything else?

Once I was born, I of course, came to love Star Wars as my brothers (and all other children of the world) did. Here's me as Princess Leia for Halloween in 1983 -- complete with cinnabun hair (though it's hard to see).  I was so happy! 

And by the time my little brother came around, the rest of us had taught him well, and so he asked to be Yoda.  Although this was a store bought mask, my mom did make everything else here, including the hand painted hands and feet. She also completely redid the mask with a whole new paint job on the face to enhance his features, and changed the hair to be more sparse.  The original mask gave Yoda the equivalent of a white half afro, it had so much hair! 

So, there you go! Some Star Wars Halloween memories.  I'm closing out with the Leia pumpkin my mom made me the same year I was Leia (it's in a pumpkin contest, hence the other pumpkins...).  I loved this pumpkin.  I thought it was sooooo pretty.  I was such a little Leia worshipper! 

Maybe next year I'll get my butt in gear and create some new Halloween memories of my own.... possibly Star Wars-ian in nature.... Old habits die hard! 
Pin It

8 comments:

STOVEPIPE.NET said...

Great stuff Alicia! It makes me realize I really need to go through my mom's photos sometime.

Mister Cranky said...

Not much of a Star Wars follower but I liked the costumes. She did a good job on them.

Court said...

That Yoda costume is to die for. My mom's idea of a costume was colored construction paper to make me a crayon.

Miss. said...

Hahah I love the pumpkins!
I dressed as Leia once, but not for halloween! We don't really have that here.

R2K said...

: )

belle said...

these are great. my burger(and husband) is a freak about star wars right now. I love your art, really beautiful I found you through texas etsy treasury. I am local austin as well and love connecting with other austin crafters.

Steve Ballmer said...

... well written people, I enjoy a good, interesting blog!

darthmental said...

hello there. nice costumes. i like the tusken raider & yoda. :)