Friday, September 19, 2008

Stack O' Sugar Skulls and Sensory Flashbacks

I'm still here, and I'm still tirelessly toiling away in preparation for the Austin City Limits Festival, and the upcoming store update.  In the mean time, here's a sneak peak of a stack of new sugar skulls. Busy girl! 

I promise more pictures of new work will be coming up within the next few weeks, but for now I thought I'd share some old work with you. 

Y'see, I've been crafting like there's no tomorrow, and my soundtrack has been a HUGE playlist I made sometime last year that I titled 'songs to paint by.' It contains every song of which I never get tired, and in particular ones that spark me with creative inspiration, wandering thoughts, and ideas for current and future projects.

But the past few days have had songs sending me into sensory flashbacks of past projects.  More specifically, I've been having flashbacks to my college days. I haven't listened to some of these albums in a while, and hearing them in the context of furiously working away on a tight deadline makes me transport back to Syracuse (which is where I attended college).  

The photo above is a picture of a book project I made in my freshman year....that's 10 years ago, folks. Yeah.  My personal sense of style has developed a lot. Or at least that's what I think. : P

I chose to make it about my foundation group, of all things, which was the group of students with which I had all of my art classes for my freshman year.  Many of my classmates from foundation remain some of my closest friends, actually.  There were two books within the one big book (about inside jokes and professors and whatnot): one for the girls, and one for the boys, featuring little drawings and rhymes about each person.  

Here's a shot of some of the book of girls. Sorry for the crappy pic, but to be honest, I look at my aesthetic sense back then and I think "What the hell was I thinking? What a waste of so many cute vintage buttons! Colored pencils?!? Yeesh!" So, crappy artwork, crappy pic, I reckon. C'mon, I was only a newbie freshie at the time.  And I decided it might be fun to share some old work with ya.

Besides, digging this out has extended my sensory flashback trips.  I find myself walking around the studios and classrooms in my mind's eye, and suddenly recalling slideshows, scents, smells, sounds, and shenanigans.  And it's been really nice to remember all of it.

Then it hits me that it was ten years ago that I started my time at college. And then it hits me how much I miss my college friends, who are now scattered all over the nation.  So I thought I would post a little shout out to my college peeps (they know who they are, and many of them are in my art links off to the side).  

So, hi peeps!  Wish you were here. 

And now, it's back to craftin'.

p.s. my apologies for the mispost earlier today.  I accidentally hit enter, and um, yeah.  Sorry bout that! 


Pin It

7 comments:

Dotty said...

Your sugar skulls are the cutest ones i have seen!!

Amanda said...

Well, I wasn't in your foundation group, but I feel compelled to comment anyway :) I've been missing Syracuse a lot lately, too. Not that I want to be in college again, but I miss the friends, the place, and believe it or not, even the weather. Nostalgic sigh! Congratulations on your engangement! Very excited news. Happy belated birthday, too!

Amy said...

I've become an official stalker of your sugar skulls. Will there be any up for grabs when you restock your shop? Hope so! They're really great.

Anne Woods said...

Your sugar skulls are so fabulous!!

PeppermintDaydreams said...

wow, i'm ready to eat those sugar skulls!

BeattysGirl said...

I want some of those sugar skulls.... where can I order them? Thanks!

GP said...

These are some of the cutest and most original crafts i have seen! is there a webstore somewhere??

goofuspoofus.wordpress.com