Friday, August 29, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation, Part I: Wedding Fun Time

This summer, my brother got married.  Hooray!  Congrats to him and my new sister in law. He's the first of my siblings to get hitched, and my whole family has just been totally thrilled and excited.  And man, oh man, does wedding excitement and anticipation make time just fly right on by.  

And it wasn't just the wedding to get all happy and enraptured about. The excitement also extended to all the other benefits wrapped up in the whole shebang of it: 
  • a road trip (my first time driving outside of Texas in 6 years.  Woah!)
  • visiting Jacksonville in the summer time (it's been at least 6 years since I've done that, too...)
  • seeing all of my uncles, aunts, cousins, and relatives who I haven't seen in, well, about 6 years
  • going to the beach (I haven't been swimming at Jax Beach in over a decade)
  • eating some of the best pizza I've had in the states (in Tallahassee of all places)
  • real Cuban food (something you don't find in Austin unless I cook it myself)
  • Le Monde Quintet - a Latin band that had folks grooving to aural awesomeness late into the night
  • listening to Douglas Adams and other audio books in the car
  • finding a cute, sweet, tail-less black kitten living under my parents' house
  • spy themed custom wedding poster art (see below)
This was a requested Bond-esque retro styled movie poster for the reception (my bro is a movie buff). This is just a crop from it, with the poses and bodies recreated from an actual 'The Spy Who Loved Me' poster and the background vignette style inspired by a vintage Italian Bond I found in my research. Everyone at the reception loved it, though me being me, I have some small nitpicks.  But I'm happy that it made my brother and sister in law happy. 

So, in all, my brother's wedding = great time had by all.  And I have yet another year of excitement, anticipation, and wedding wonderousness to look forward to... 

Because I got engaged to my own sweetie guy this summer! Hooray for more wonderful news! Hooray for more wedding fun times to come!
Pin It


Kristi said...

Congrats!!!! Yay! :)

Jason Chalker said...

Congrats! Sounds like it was a great summer. :)


Congratulations on the engagement Alicia! All the best!

da janx said...

great illo! i love her dress.

yep. summer's over.