Friday, April 11, 2008

Lady Rainbow

So, drawing up this month's Crafting a Business illustration made me crave for my halcyon days of drawing lady superhero after lady superhero. I whipped out the paints, and out came Lady Rainbow, a character I made up my freshman year of high school (though she was originally dubbed Rainbow Girl).

Yep, I was a nerd, but I'm really glad of it. It meant I was drawing, looking, observing, and learning all the time when it came to my art skills. Plus, that all resulted in my having a super fun time painting up this piece (gouache on panel, by the way).

From about 1991 until about 1996, I spent hours upon hours in a non stop drawing and doodling daze of comic book characters -- real ones and ones of my own. Painting this piece felt so comfortable and familiar. I would be so happy wiling away the hours drawing my old characters, revamping and redesigning their costumes, and interpreting them into my current style of drawing. Yep, I'm still a nerd.

Here's Lady Rainbow back when she was Rainbow Girl. She was intended to be a spoof sort of hero. I really fancied The Tick at the time she came along, if that helps explain it.

This drawing is from 1995, though she was created a year before that. In 1995, I decided one afternoon that I should go through all of my sketchbooks and doodles, and record every character I had made up and developed at the time, drawing them in full costume in chronological order of when they were created, all in one sketchbook. I ended up drawing over 56 characters of mine, all lined up, page after page, in chronological order. I remember doing this all in one day. Wow. I was sooo into drawing... Pin It

5 comments:

andi butler said...

look at her, rainbow girl!! she's too presh alicia, and where are my manners?! i must put you on my blogroll, tout de suite! i've got to post and link your kitty cake, it's too faboo, time just gets away from me...

a : )

STOVEPIPE.NET said...

I love that Lady Rainbow! Maybe a line of super heroine plushes?

Jennifer Perkins - Naughty Secretary Club said...

Hi Alicia I was stopping by to tell you I blogged about your adorable Carlottas Cat painting today now I see that I am a super fan of your work already. I love the illustrations you have been doing for Jenny's articles they are sooo awesome. I didn't even put it together that you were the same person when I saw your cute kitty girl on Etsy!

alicia hart said...

oh my goodness. i LOVE lady rainbow!

Ben said...

Awesome! She looks like she'd be right at home in super-deformed style anime or manga. In fact, I'd say you could plop her right down into the "Teen Titans" cartoon :-)