Friday, October 26, 2007

I'm Back! Illustration Friday - Grow

I didn't think I'd be back so soon, but I couldn't pass up this week's theme. Here's my version of 'grow.' Y'see, I've had the tendency to draw sequences of mini-portraits of people 'aging,' or growing if you will, my entire life. I called these drawings 'aging processes' drawings. This is a new one.

It's the first thing I thought of when I saw 'grow.' So, here's a girl growing up. I reckon I'm fascinated with the passing of time and its effects on the body, and fashion and haircuts. : ) Sometimes I would create entire family albums of fictitious people spanning generations, portraits of each member every so many years drawn - all drawn on notebook paper (probably during one of my brothers' basketball games) and stapled together. It was an obsession of mine.

Here's a small sampling of some aging process drawings throughout my ages. Check out how I 'grew' as an artist. Ah-ha! Double themed entry!


This here's my very first aging process drawing(s) (it's on two pages, but it's one drawing) that I can remember doing. I had just turned six (1986). I remember actually drawing this, and talking to myself while I drew it in my very first sketch book -- recounting the story of this girl's life as I made it all up. For some reason, she looks nothing alike year to year -- I'm prolly the only one who would know it's all the same girl.

This one was done circa 1988 --third grade. If you click on it, you might be able to make out the '3rd Grade *sigh*' handwriting under the picture of the girl with the super curly scribble hair. Hmmm, someone did not like her hair in third grade....

This one is from 1991, when I rediscovered drawing and I would rip through a sketchbook every month or so. This also documents the advent of my 'noseless' people, which I notoriously drew circa 1991-1995, as I decided I couldn't draw noses well enough, so I left them out all together. This chick evolved to noselessness, it seems.

Here's a re-drawing I did in 2003 of my aging process I drew in 1991. I tried to stay true to the original fashions and haircuts, so she still doesn't look like she's the same person all the way through. What can I say? I was bored and lazy that day.

Anyway, there you go. A drawing of a girl growing up, and the growth of my artistic prowess and skillz. Two birds, one stone! Kinda...

So, was I a strange kid, or does everyone else draw aging processes as well? Pin It

10 comments:

Zach Taylor said...

Not Normal!

Heh. It's actually pretty cool you've got all those old sketches. It must mean something if you keep coming back to it all the time. Seeing the process is "neato."

Natura said...

Great study and very pretty result!

Kennon said...

Beautiful. Stunning. Well done.

I went back and forth with my "Growing" post but couldn't pull it off.

Again, super work.

da janx said...

wonderful, wonderful stuff. what amazing patience you have. also, what great consistency in character design execution... which is harder than it looks.

mike r baker said...

I agree, not normal! Thank god!

Excellent post! Nice to see how you progressed. You have a stunning style now, my dear. :)

Jason Chalker said...

No, Alicia, you're not normal. But then again, normal is boring.

I really like this one. What a great way to show growth. I hope they feature it!

davidjamescole said...

you're hilarious.

Aaron Sacco said...

Holy cow this is super cool! what a difficult study to embark on. many kudos!

Clevergretchen said...

You are so abnormal girl, and I LOVE IT. Really, these are so cute!! All the different hairstyles rock.

Michelle said...

Wow, great project! Love the way your interpreted all the phases!