Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Devil and Death

Here's my second piece for the spooky group art show at Amy's Ice Cream on Sixth that goes up tomorrow and comes down at the end of October. It was inspired by photo of a ceramic figure in one of my Dia de los Muertos art books (oh, how I love everything about that art!) of the Devil dancing with Death, which is also, apparently, a dance performed in some areas. I think I like my Sugar Skull Juggler better, but I like the 'sexiness' of this one.

I totally want to buy myself some sugar skull molds this year. I've seen them around town before, now it's just a matter of tracking them down. We'll see if I have the time for it between projects, out of town trips, and everything else I have to do this month.

I can't believe it's October. Oh, and I bought a pumpkin already. Good grief!

*edit*

The kind Mr. Jennings made me aware that their eye color was too close to their skin color (I was going for glowing, but yeah, I missed... but then again the monitor looks different at night...), thus their eyes looked closed. So, I fixed it (I think). If they still looked closed, let me know. : )
Here's the lovely couple with sporting the results of their recent eye jobs. Pin It

8 comments:

da janx said...

again. brilliant.

their eyes confuse me though. are they open? i think they're closed, since they're the same color as their skin.

i love the paper cut outs in the background. niiice detail.

alicia said...

Thanks for pointing out the eye thing. They were open, and supposed to look a bit glowy yellow orange, but yeah, far too close to their skin color.

I changed it and posted up as an edit. Check it out!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words, as always. : D

davidjamescole said...

good job with fixing the eyes. the same issue confused me for a sec in the last piece as well.

overall, very very nice. love the background.

Emma Forsyth said...

Love, love, love. And adore.

Kennon said...

I thought the eyes were fine as is but the change is cool as well. This is a great piece. I love all the details: the guy's tail, the lace on the lady's dress,...
You've got an awesome style; cute with a nice sensibility yet with an underlying current of twisted and perverse. All your pieces are wickedly interesting and of course the executions are impeccable.

Let's see your Blues piece and a FACA arena girl ;)

Felicia said...

Cute couple :)

Janice said...

hmmm amazing what eye surgery can do... they look eerie now....

STOVEPIPE.NET said...

Those are great! I really do love your style!