Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cutsey Ghostie Gourd

I'm feeling very in the mood for Halloween right now. Here is a shot of my freshly painted Ghostie Gourd. I found the gourd at Central Market, and as soon as I saw it I knew it was destined to become a ghost. I've never seen gourds like this before. How about y'all, folks? I might want more...I haven't decided.

Now, some of you who know me may also know that I'm a Halloween pumpkin carving purist, meaning I'm usually against the whole 'painting the faces on' ordeal. I'm pretty harsh about it. No painted faces, no kits, and one must draw one's own design, etc. Material, props, paper, etc. is allowable to a certain extent, but the majority of it should be carved. Alas, I broke my own rule. I did paint the face on my gourd, but I didn't want to shorten his life by cutting him up. : ( I'm so conflicted!

Anyway, it's still kitless, and my own design, so two out of three ain't bad, right?

Oh, and tomorrow is a certain kitty's designated birthday. She'll be 3. That's 25 in cat years. Hmm.... she doesn't act like it.
Pin It

2 comments:

davidjamescole said...

That is SO cute, I could just eat it. Can you eat gourds? What do they make? Pie?

alicia said...

Well, this one, it turns out, is a Yugoslavian Finger Fruit (I saw more at the store today).

Apparently, this particular variety is edible, but works better as decoration.

Which is good, since I'm not huge on squashes and whatnot myself. But, if I do something, maybe I'll save the seeds and try planting some up.

It makes a great ghost!