Wednesday, September 5, 2007

¡joyería!

Here's another 'craft' post for y'all. My mom is attending the big 40th Anniversary celebration at the Jacksonville Cuban American Club this Saturday. My dad is the President of the club this year, so it's a big to-do for him and my mom. Cocktail dress, tuxedo fancy type to-do. I reckon she is, for all intents and purposes, the 'first lady' over there, and was in need of some jewelry for the occasion. She requested a predominantly red and black with gold findings number. I just mailed it off to her.

This is what I came up with using just what I had here, with the exception of the 'donut' pendant. I didn't have any decent pendant pieces so, I went on a brief shopping trip, and this was what turned up. I had wanted a big ol' faceted teardrop, or something like that. Typically I'm not a big fan of the 'donut pendant,' but it was all I could find that wasn't faux cinnabar (real cinnabar would be bad -- it's toxic, or so I've heard), and was the right shade of red. I opted for lots of chain and the layered look to offset any of the zen-simple-chic or art-teacher-funky-cookiness I tend to see donuts mixed in with. I'm pleased.

I was afraid it wouldn't be able to pull off a formal look, but I think I did it. At first I had it more delicate and dripping with clusters and whatnot, but it didn't look right -- too busy. I think this simpler version is much better and much less cluttered.

I really like the chain slip knot part a lot. Fancy pants! There are earrings to match, but not pictured.

As for the materials, this one is faceted black onyx, faceted coral, sponge coral, freshwater pearls, and the pendant is what I would call reconstituted sponge coral, all with gold filled wire and chain. Pin It

3 comments:

alicia hart said...

fancy necklace! i bet your mom will get SO many compliments!! can we have craft night?

alicia said...

I would love to have a craft night. Hmmm... I'd love to host it, but I don't know when that would be, because it means that first I have to clean my house. : )

It's like an arts and crafts store exploded in here. I'm such a messy bessie.

It can be my clean up inspiration.

Emma Forsyth said...

Love the necklace, your mom is going to look fancay!
Can I invite myself to craft night? It's never too early to start thinking about Christmas crafts! I was thinking about doing kanzashi flower garlands for my tree, but hopefully you will talk me out of it and help me think of something a little less time consuming. :)