Thursday, August 23, 2007

Illustration Friday - Captain

Here's my quickie Illustration Friday contribution -- barely in time. I figured I had to do it though, since I've taken the past few weeks off and that's no good. It's a Captain Walrus! I tried to think of a really great name for him, but alas, came up with nothing. Blargh! I think I'm brain tired. Any suggestions?

I'm not totally pleased with him -- I'm kinda 'meh.' I would have liked to have time for a whole body and scene/environment, and something about the coloring, etc seems off to me. But then again, for a quickie, he's just dandy.

Ink lines, photoshop color. Pin It


zari.ZHM said...

great illo!...a "quickie" did you say?!...wao!

Jonathan Woodward said...

Hi Alicia,

This cool - love the character you have created here.

The finish is amazing for a 'quickie' illustration.


alicia said...

Ok, maybe 'quickie' is a relative term. Quickie compared to some previous entries (I'm thinking the 'geeky' one), which take considerable more time, but I consider them to be of considerably more detail.

Had he not been a 'quickie,' he'd be maybe standing on his ship, in full costume, with perhaps, a first mate. But alas, it's a lot faster and easier to do a small portrait.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like him, and thanks for the comments. : )

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

Nice work! I really like your portrait.

k*smith said...

What a wonderful character!

Eren said...

Captain Walrus is a great name! I like how it's a portrait too. It makes me want to know more about him. Great work!


How about Commodore Wiskington Tuskalot.

davidjamescole said...

cute character! sorry i missed your call last weekend. been busy with all my projects, but they will be over soon! give you a call when that actually happens. YAARRRGGHH!!

da janx said...

that is one crappy walrus. please stop stinking up the web with your stupid drawings.

(make everything i just said opposite.)

i would also like to see a more fleshed out composition.

(keep that remark the same.)

yay! alicia drawings!

Tim @ said...

I love this.
Sailing with the good captain!
Please draw a tanuki someday..

:) Tim