Friday, July 6, 2007

American Women Authors, Part 1

A few weeks back, I decided to draw a few of the authors that influenced and affected me growing up and now. A lot of the authors I most treasure were (are) women, and more specifically, American women. Thus, I was inspired to start on a small series of author portraits. Here's the first one, Margaret Mitchell.

I sort of had a Gone With the Wind obsession when I was a little girl. Well, not sort of. I was an out and out freak about it. The majority of it was probably the love of drawing big poofy dresses, at least back then. Well, that and I totally thought Clark Gable was the dreamiest -- alas he was long dead, so I couldn't really daydream about running away with him very well.

As I grew older, I really began to appreciate the character of Scarlett as a sort of anti-hero heroine. To paraphrase a friend of mine, Scarlett's an absolute, unapologetic bitch, but you still root for her until the end. You just don't see that many do it strong, stubborn, bitchy heroines that you actually like around anymore. At least, I've always liked her. Then again, maybe it's all the dresses.... Pin It


Paul Adam said...

Rockin'! I just subscribed to your blog. Can't wait to see more.

Neva Austrew said...

very cool. I love the collar, how it just pokes out to one side. I don't really know why but that's my favorite part...that and her cheeks...but you know me and cheeks.

Emma Forsyth said...

I knew I was going to love this when you just told me about it, but now to see it -- beautiful!!