Sunday, June 17, 2007

Tick Cakes

Ahh, tick cakes! Don't worry, no real ticks involved. The ticks are really raisins, and the cake is chocolate with mocha frosting. Mmmm, tastes like childhood.

Yesterday I whipped up a batch of my grandmother's famous tick cakes in her memory. Gammon (rhymes with 'c'mon') died 3 years ago yesterday, and I spent the day fondly remembering her by baking tick cakes, sharing stories, and listening to the Beatles White album. She was a bigger Beatles fan than my mom and my uncles were, I'd say. I reckon that's pretty uncommon for pre-baby boomer generation grandmothers, right?

My sophomore year of college I flew into Orlando for Thanksgiving break, and Gammon and I drove up to Jacksonville together to meet the rest of the family. I played almost everything I could possibly think of, and Gammon enjoyed every bit of music I played for us. Her favorites from the trip included Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, and Nirvana, while the only two CDs I remember her disliking were Ryuchi Sakamoto and Salt N' Pepa. I gave her some Belle and Sebastian CDs for Christmas that year, and they became fast favorites for her to listen to. I played them along with the Beatles yesterday. I miss her terribly.

Gammon, along with my mom, taught me how to sew, knit, embroider, and cook. I inherited my artistic abilities through her -- both she and my mom were also art majors and together supplied me with a childhood filled with art: hand made christmas cards, t-shirts embroidered with our own drawings, museum trips, homemade pottery and sculptures, hand painted furniture, and much, much more.... I wore Gammon made clothing throughout my childhood until I was meanly teased about it at school (oh, fifth grade!). I still sleep under Gammon made quilts and afghans, I cook in her iron skillet, read her Pogo books, and sleep curled up with my cat on her feather stuffed sofa. She helped me learn to appreciate a good book, a good education, and a good man. She was such a very satisfactory grandmother. Cheers to Gammon! May I continue to remember her every day in how I live and who I am.

Pin It


Kennon said...

Cheers to Gammon! Those are the things that mean the most.

Neva Austrew said...

Awww, look at the little Alicia!

I love that you still have a lot of your Gammon's stuff around in your life. I think it helps keep a person close to you. Cheers to grandmothers and their quirky ways!

alicia said...

Thanks, yall! Grandmothers are the best. : )